This is a repost from The Dragon’s Tower.
The third of Bryan Singer’s X-Men trilogy depicting Marvel’s X-Men superheroes released in 2006 by Fox studios. The other two movies in the trilogy are X-Men (2000) and X2: X-Men United (2003). Following the popularity of the X-Men trilogy, Fox released a trilogy of Prequels consisting of X-Men: First Class (2011), X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014), and X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) and two Wolverine movies, X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) and The Wolverine (2013). A third, and rumored to be final, Wolverine movie comes out this year called Logan (March 3, 2017). The 2016 Deadpool movie starring Ryan Reynolds is also considered a part of Fox’s X-Men film series.
- Charles Xavier “Professor X” – Sir Patrick Stewart
- Scott Summers “Cyclops” – James Marsden
- Dr. Jean Grey “Dark Phoenix” – Famke Janssen
- Ororo Munroe “Storm” – Halle Berry
- Logan “Wolverine” – Hugh Jackman
- Marie D’Ancanto “Rogue” – Anna Paquin
- Bobby Drake “Iceman” – Shawn Ashmore
- Senator Robert Kelly – Bruce Davison
- Erik Lehnsherr “Magneto” – Sir Ian McKellen
- Raven Darkholme”Mystique” – Rebecca Romijn
- Kurt Wagner “Nightcrawler” – Alan Cumming
- Col. William Stryker – Brian Cox
- John Allerdyce “Pyro” – Aaron Stanford
- Yuriko Oyama “Lady Deathstrike” – Kelly Hu
Warren Worthington III, upon discovering his own son was a Mutant, created a “Cure” that will suppress the Mutant gene and begins offering it to anyone that wants it. When the Brotherhood learn of its use as a weapon against Mutants who apposed of Worthington’s so-called “Cure”, they started recruiting an Army. Meanwhile, Wolverine discovers signs Jean might still be alive. He heads up to Alkali Lake and finds a bunch of floating rocks, Cyclopse’s glasses and an unconscious Jean.
Eventually, they find out Jean is really the Dark Phoenix and she joins Magneto and the Brotherhood. A final battle ensues at the lab facility where Worthington manufactures the “Cure” and the Brotherhood and the X-Men face off in a pretty epic battle.
The Dragon’s Reaction
I am not a fan of what they did to the Dark Phoenix Saga and preferred the comic book storyline, but I did enjoy the fight scenes (which were EPIC!) and the acting. With big names like Sir Patrick Stewart, Sir Ian McKellen, and Hugh Jackman the acting is going to be superb. Some of the lines in the script needed some work. The dialog felt cheesy and lazy. It had such great potential and they kind of let the ball drop on this one. It could have had something to do with a different director and a change in creative direction, but it still was a commercial success and is accepted by fans as a pretty entertaining movie. If you look passed the script, it is a pretty great action movie. The final battle scene was worth the wait.